AI Residency applications are now open
October 28, 2019
January 31, 2020, 05:00pm PST
The Artificial Intelligence (AI) Residency Program is a one-year research training position designed to give you hands-on experience with artificial intelligence research while working in Facebook AI.
The program will pair you with an AI Researcher and Engineer who will both guide your project. With the team, you will pick a research problem of mutual interest and then devise new deep learning techniques to solve it. We also encourage collaborations beyond the assigned mentors. The research will be communicated to the academic community by submitting papers to top academic venues (for example, NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, ACL, EMNLP, etc.), as well as open-source code releases and/or product impact.
The AI Residency experience is designed to kickstart a career in the field. This is a full-time program that cannot be undertaken in conjunction with university study or a full-time job.
We encourage applications from people who have a strong technical background and are passionate about AI research. Prior experience in machine learning is certainly a strength, but we seek people from a diverse range of backgrounds, including areas ostensibly unrelated to machine learning such as (but not limited to) math, physics, finance, economics, linguistics, computational social science, neuroscience, and bioinformatics.
Applications will close on Friday, January 31, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. PST. The program will start in August 2020.
- Learn how to perform research in deep learning and AI.
- Understand prior work and existing literature.
- Work with mentors to identify problem(s) of interest and develop novel AI techniques.
- Translate ideas into practical code (in frameworks such as PyTorch).
- Write up research results in the form of an academic paper or open-source projects.
- Applications will open in fall 2019 for the 2020–2021 cohort.
- Applications will close on Friday, January 31, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. PST.
- Residents will start in August 2020.
For candidates interested in working in Menlo Park, New York, or Seattle, please apply here. For candidates interested in working at the London location, please apply here. If applying to both, you may use the same application materials. We can only consider complete applications.
To learn more about what it’s like to be an AI Resident at Facebook, read our Q&A with two of our 2019 Facebook AI residents.
- Will I be paid during the residency?
- Yes. Residents are paid a competitive salary.
- Will the program provide a certificate of completion?
- No. This is not a formal educational program.
- Is this a part-time program?
- No. The Residency is only offered as a full-time position for one year. It is not possible to combine this with university study or a paid job.
- What options will be open to me at the end of the program?
- The residency is ideal preparation for applying to top graduate programs in machine learning. Exceptional performers are welcome to interview for full-time positions at Facebook.
- Can I do a longer Residency than 12 months?
- The program is only offered at 12 months.
- Can I do the Residency remotely?
- No. All residents are expected to work on-site from a Facebook office during their residency.
- I have been out of school for several years. Am I eligible to apply?
- Yes. We will consider applications from various backgrounds.
- Can I be enrolled as a student at a university during the residency?
- No, the residency can’t be completed simultaneously.
- Can I work for a university or another employer during the residency?
- No, the residency cannot be done simultaneously with other jobs.
- Will I receive benefits during the Residency?
- Yes, residents are eligible for most benefits. Residents are not eligible to receive Facebook RSUs, annual bonuses, or merit increases.
- Will Facebook provide housing for the duration of this program?
- No, but for those who are eligible we provide a competitive relocation package.
- Is there a fee associated with this program?
- There are no fees to participate in the program. The Residency pays a competitive salary and relocation for those that are eligible.
Still have questions about the program?
Questions about the Facebook AI Research Residency Program can be sent to email@example.com. Note that due to high volume, we are unable to answer questions about the status of your application.