This Research Award is now closed
Facebook is pleased to invite submissions from university researchers and faculty, non-profit organizations, and NGOs for applied research proposals to improve the security, privacy, and safety of internet users. Our goal is to spur development of technology that may be applied in practice, rather than pure research, in a wide range of topics including, but not limited to:
- Abuse detection and reporting
- Post-password authentication
- Privacy preserving technologies
- Security for users in emerging markets
- User safety
Applicants should submit a maximum 2-page proposal detailing the practical impact their research will apply to end users and a budget overview of how the proposed grant funding will be used.
Facebook will fund up to USD $100,000 per proposal, depending on the specific requirements.
Payment will be made to the proposer’s host university or organization as an unrestricted gift.
Applicants should clearly state any existing collaborations with Facebook researchers or engineers and whether their proposal has a named sponsor within Facebook.
One person from each funded team is expected to attend Black Hat USA in August, 2018 to accept the grant and also attend a Summit held in Facebook’s offices in 2019 to present and share their team’s work with both Facebook and other researchers. Facebook will pay for travel for both events, separate from the award itself.
Successful awardees will be listed on the Facebook Research website and will be encouraged to openly publish any findings/insights from their work.
Timing and dates
Application is now closed
Grants Awarded and Winners Announced: Notifications will be sent by email to selected award recipients in May, 2018. Winners will be announced at Black Hat USA 2018 in Las Vegas, NV.
Award Amount: Up to $100,000 USD
Applications should be under 2 pages and include:
- Names of the researcher(s) involved in the proposed work
- Host academic research institution or organization
- Clear and concise statement of the research
- A timeline with deliverables such as publications, tools, or libraries
- Proposed impact on end users and how it would be adopted
- Indication of any previous or current connections/collaborations with Facebook (in which case please name any Facebook contacts)
- A proposed budget
Questions about Secure the Internet research proposals you may send them to: email@example.com