ParlAI request for proposals
This Research Award is now closed
Facebook is pleased to invite university teams to respond to this call for research proposals on chatbots and dialogue systems that make use of Facebook’s ParlAI framework; a total of 7 awards are available.
Building intelligent chatbots is a very topical research challenge and Facebook is keen to accelerate these endeavors — first by creating and sharing relevant tooling and by encouraging research that explores and extends this infrastructure.
ParlAI, released this year, is a unified platform for training and evaluating AI models on a variety of openly available dialog datasets using open-sourced learning agents. Applicants for the grants will be expected to either contribute to the pool of available agents, e.g. by research into new strongly performing models and/or add to the pool of available tasks that are useful for training and evaluating those agents.
Applicants should submit a maximum 2 page proposal detailing what contribution their research is expected to make, and a budget overview of how the proposed funding will be used. Funding will be in the $10,000 to $20,000 range per proposal, depending on the specific requirements. In particular, the funding could be used for data collection using ParlAI’s Mechanical Turk framework.
One person from each funded team is expected to attend a Faculty Summit held in Facebook’s NY office October 2-3, 2017 to present and share their team’s work with both Facebook and other researchers, with travel paid by FB (separate from the award itself).
Successful awardees will be listed on the Facebook Research website and will be encouraged to openly publish any findings/insights from their work.
Timing & Dates
Applications are now closed.
Award Amount: $10,000 to $20,000. Applications should include a budget.
Notification process: Notifications will go out by email to selected applicants.
Terms & Conditions
Grant Terms and Conditions
Facebook’s decisions will be final in all matters relating to this solicitation, including interpretation of these Terms and awards at any time. Awards will be subject to additional Terms and Conditions for awardees which will be communicated to recipients after selection. All items apply unless otherwise stated above. Please Read These Terms Carefully Before Proceeding.
- By submitting a proposal, you are authorizing Facebook to evaluate the proposal for a potential award, and you agree to the terms herein.
- You agree that Facebook will not be required to treat any part of the proposal as confidential or protected by copyright, and may use, edit, modify, copy, reproduce, and distribute all or a portion of your proposal in any manner for the sole purposes of administering the website and evaluating the contents of the proposal.
- You agree and acknowledge that personal data submitted with the proposal, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address of you and other named researchers in the proposal may be collected, processed, stored and otherwise used by Facebook for the purposes of administering the website and evaluating the contents of the proposal.
- You acknowledge that neither party is obligated to enter into any business transaction as a result of the proposal submission, Facebook is under no obligation to review or consider the proposal, and neither party acquires any intellectual property rights as a result of submitting the proposal.
- Any feedback you provide to Facebook in the proposal regarding its products or services will not be treated as confidential or protected by copyright, and Facebook is free to use such feedback on an unrestricted basis with no compensation to you.
- Applicants represent and warrant that they have authority to submit a proposal in connection with this RFP and grant the rights set forth herein on behalf of their organization.
See this page for full Terms and Conditions.
Receive email notifications about our research awards