This Research Award is now closed
Facebook is pleased to invite university faculty to respond to this call for research proposals on hardware and software systems; a total of 5 awards are available. During this proposal cycle, Facebook is especially interested in soliciting proposals for research at the intersection of computer systems and machine learning, including, but not limited to:
- Machine learning benchmarks (especially beyond computer vision)
- Workload characterization tools and techniques for machine learning applications
- Hardware architectures for efficient and scalable machine learning
- Machine learning frameworks and compiler flows to facilitate efficiency, portability, and inter-operability
- Techniques to facilitate machine learning on resource-constrained edge devices
- System impact of distributed training including issues related to compute, networking, and storage
- Approaches that apply machine learning for research in traditional hardware and software systems
- System analysis and optimization of machine learning approaches beyond deep learning
Applicants should submit a maximum 2 page proposal detailing what contribution their research is expected to make, how the research domain will benefit from the work, and a budget overview of how the proposed funding will be used. Proposals are highly encouraged to focus funding on project personnel, especially PhD students. Proposals from small collaborative teams, particularly with PIs bridging areas of Systems and ML, are also encouraged. Funding will be in the $30,000 to $50,000 range per proposal, depending on the specific requirements.
Payment will be made to the proposer’s host university as an unrestricted gift.
Applicants should clearly state any existing collaborations with Facebook researchers or engineers and whether their proposal has a named sponsor within Facebook.
One person from each funded team is expected to attend a Faculty Summit held in Facebook’s offices in 2018 to present and share their team’s work with both Facebook and other researchers, with travel paid by FB (separate from the award itself).
Successful awardees will be listed on the Facebook Research website and will be encouraged to openly publish any findings/insights from their work.
Timing, dates and proposal format
Applications are now open
Deadline: December 7, 2017, 5pm PST
Award Amount: Up to $50,000
Applications should include:
- Names of the researcher(s) involved in the proposed work
- Host academic research institution
- Clear and concise statement of the research
- Indication of any previous or current connections/collaborations with Facebook (in which case please name the any Facebook contacts)
- A proposed budget
Notifications will be sent by email to selected applicants.