Global Literacy and Accessibility Challenge request for proposals
This Research Award is now closed
Applications are now closed
Notification process: Successful awardees will be notified by email in early September 2018.
Launch Date April 16, 2018
Winners Announced September 2018
Areas of Interest
Facebook is pleased to invite the academic community to respond to this call for research proposals to better understand and address global literacy and accessibility issues. Research awardees will be expected to contribute to the field of literacy and accessibility through qualitative or quantitative research, including, but not limited to:
- Novel, scalable methods on assessing individual or population literacy levels.
- Understanding the experiences and challenges associated with literacy issues, eg learning disabilities or barriers due to English as a second language.
- Understanding the social, structural, and technology issues that prevent people from improving literacy skills.
- Understanding the impact of literacy skills on individuals and society.
- Digital, social technologies used to improve literacy level, especially, closing the gender gap in literacy rate.
- Design and development of technologies to elevate the literacy barrier, preferably with a focus on social and AI technologies.
Proposals should include
- A summary of the project (1-2 pages) explaining the area of focus, a description of techniques, any relevant prior work, and a timeline with milestones and expected outcomes.
- A draft budget description (1 page) including an approximate cost of the award and explanation of how funds would be spent
- Curriculum Vitae for all project participants.
Timing and dates
- Applications are now closed.
- Notification process: Successful awardees will be notified by email in early September 2018.
Receive email notifications about our research awards