This Research Award is now closed
Facebook is pleased to invite university faculty to respond to this call for research proposals on computer communications and networking; a total of 5 awards are available. We are interested in making awards on a wide range of networking research, including, but not limited to:
- Network architectures and algorithms
- Routing, traffic engineering, switching, and addressing
- Network monitoring and diagnosis
- Internet traffic and content (including video) distribution networks
- Operating system and host support for networking
- Measurement of and statistics methods/machine learning/data mining applied to networks
- Network management and operations
Applicants should submit a maximum 2 page proposal detailing what contribution their research is expected to make, how the research domain will benefit from the work, and a budget overview of how the proposed funding will be used. Funding will up to $50,000 per proposal, depending on the specific requirements.
Payment will be made to the proposer’s host university as an unrestricted gift.
Applicants should clearly state any existing collaborations with Facebook researchers or engineers and whether their proposal has a named sponsor within Facebook.
One person from each funded team is expected to attend a Faculty Summit held in Facebook’s offices in 2018 to present and share their team’s work with both Facebook and other researchers, with travel paid by Facebook (separate from the award itself).
Successful awardees will be listed on the Facebook Research website and will be encouraged to openly publish any findings/insights from their work.
Timing, dates and proposal format
Applications are closed.
Application deadline: December 7, 2017, 5pm PST
Award Amount: Up to $50,000
Applications should include:
- Names of the researcher(s) involved in the proposed work
- Host academic research institution
- Clear and concise statement of the research
- Indication of any previous or current connections/collaborations with Facebook (in which case please name any Facebook contacts)
- A proposed budget
Notifications will be sent by email to selected applicants.