This Research Award is now closed
Caffe2 is a deep learning framework designed to provide scalability, modularity, flexibility, and speed to projects across many areas including computer vision, speech, and mobile platforms. For more information on Caffe2 please visit: https://caffe2.ai/. Award recipients will be expected to use Caffe2 for their proposed project and provide insights into how the platform can be utilized and enhanced in future versions.
Applicants should submit a two page proposal outlining their intended research and a budget overview of how funding will be used. Awards will be made in amounts ranging from $20,000 to $40,000 per proposal for projects up to one year in duration beginning October 1, 2017. Successful proposals will demonstrate innovative and compelling research that has the potential to significantly advance technology. Award amounts will be determined at the sole discretion of the evaluation committee. Up to 5 awards will be awarded.
Representatives from each awarded project are expected to attend a workshop with other participants in December 2017- likely co-located with NIPS. Travel costs should be included in the proposed budget.
Award recipients will be listed on the Facebook Research website and will be encouraged to openly publish any findings/insights from their work.
Future competitions will be introduced next year to fund more projects focusing on the areas that prove most impactful and innovative.
Applications are being accepted for research with an emphasis on understanding intelligence and building intelligent systems for the research community, related to one of the following topical areas:
- Computer vision
- Distributed systems (Large-scale distributed training)
- Natural language processing
- On-device machine learning on mobile devices
- Speech recognition
Proposals must be submitted via the form below. Please prepare the following documents as Word, PDF or RTF files and upload with the form:
1. A summary of the project (1-2 pages) explaining the area of focus, importance to the field, and applicability to Facebook of the anticipated research during the award (reference the topical areas below)
2. A draft budget description (1 page) including an approximate cost of the award and explanation of how funds would be spent
3. Curriculum Vitae for all project personnel.
Timing & Dates
Applications are closed.
Notification process: Successful awardees were notified by email in early September, 2017.